Foods to avoid
To prevent breaking your fixed brace you must:
1: Avoid all hard foods such as:
- Crusty bread, pizza crust, hard biscuits
- Corn chips and other types of hard crisps or popcorn
- All nuts unless they are ground
2: Avoid any sweets or sticky foods such as:
- Chewing gum, sticky toffee, chewy sweets or boiled sweets
3: Avoid any fizzy drinks, even diet fizzy drinks as these contain alot of acid or excessive amounts of fruit juice as these are also acidic.
4: Avoid biting into any thing with your front teeth as this can dislodge the brackets on the front teeth
- Corn on the cob or meat you eat off the bone must be avoided
- Biscuits – break into small bits and chewed on your back teeth
- Apple –slice thinly and chewed on your back teeth
- Raw carrot – should be grated
- Nail biting and pen chewing must be avoided
Remember, when a brace is broken your treatment time may increase. Please check daily that your brace is not broken. If it is contact the practice and make an appointment to have it repaired as soon as possible.